Now, wait until you get a load of the latest contest that starts today.
It’s especially made for carnivores.
Morton’s The Steakhouse in San Jose is generously offering one Food Gal reader a complimentary dinner for two at any Morton’s location worldwide. Yes, that’s right — a dining certificate for two people that’s good for up to one year at any Morton’s around the globe.
Now that I have you salivating, I’m sure you’re wondering just what you have to do to win, right?
No worries. It’s very easy. Keep reading.
You already know that my hubby’s nickname is Meat Boy for obvious reasons. What you might not know are some of the ways he’s truly earned that moniker. Let me tell you.
My husband is the sort who will go to the grocery store, and return with arms laden with a humongous roast or a mountain of pork chops or a heap of rib racks, then declare, “Gee, I wonder what we should eat this with tonight?”
I will respond in complete disbelief, “You were just at the store! Why didn’t you think of that when you were there?”
Then, he will look at me blankly, and whimper, “Uh…oh…yeahhh….that’s a good question…”
I still remember when I once returned home at night from the gym to find that my husband had cooked dinner. He thoughtfully left a plate out for me. When I pulled back the foil, I discovered about six little “piles” arranged neatly. There was a bit of sausage, a bit of steak, a bit of roast, a bit of ham, and a bit of this, that, and the other. All of it was meat in some shape or form.
There was no salad, no bread, no rice, no potato, and no veggies whatsoever. In his meat-filled mind, he had cooked the perfect dinner. All meat. But, of course.
My hubby is the type who believes that fancy prix-fixe menus would be far better if they had no salad, intermezzo, or dessert courses. He believes tasting menus should essentially be tastes of meat, meat and more meat.
You know how gal friends will call other gal pals let them know there’s some killer shoe sale going on? My husband’s colleague, Ed, has been known to call my husband excitedly to inform him, “Dude, prime rib is on sale at Safeway!!”
So there you have it — some insight into why Meat Boy is who he is.
Now, it’s your turn: Tell me one memorable story about how the Meat Boy or Meat Gal in your life earned that distinction. And yes, if you prefer, you can even explain how YOU qualify for that description if it’s more apt for you than anyone else in your life.
Deadline: Entries must be received by the end of the day, Aug. 1. Unlike previous contests, this one is open to anyone, no matter where you live, since the dinner is good at any Morton’s in the world. The one winner will be chosen by my Meat Boy, with input from me, of course. The winner will be announced on Aug. 3.
And now, for the three winners of the Popchips contest, plus a BONUS: The good news is that you are ALL winners in one way or another. The folks at Popchips were so thrilled by the responses you came up with that they want to send coupons to all who participated. The three grand-prize winners revealed below will be sent a bag of each flavor of the popular snack chip.
Without further adieu, here are the three grand-prize winners, listed in no particular order, who best answered the question, “What three things make my heart go pop?”:
Alejandra, who wrote:
1) That little open-eyed smile nod thing my boyfriend does when he bites into something I’ve made that he likes. I always look out for it when he takes a first taste and it’s fantastic when I see it.
2) That sweet moment when you show up at a store and find out that there is only ONE pair of the shoes you love left in your size. And they’re 50% off what they were last week when you were “this close” to buying them but didn’t.
3) Packages. I adore receiving packages. They don’t have to be wrapped up in brown paper and tied up with string, but they better have something wonderful inside!
Katrina, who wrote:
1) Coming home to find my husband in a kitchen, that looks like WWIII just erupted in it, trying to surprise me with a homemade meal.
2) Seeing hope in the eyes of someone who has just been diagnosed with food allergies as I show them around a grocery store and help them realize their culinary life is not over; it is just beginning.
3) Watching my family try to play a board game without breaking anything or anyone. We are all a little too competitive for our own good!
And Mike, who wrote:
1. having my 2-year-old daughter walk into a room and proudly exclaim “whatcha doin” is absolutely adorable.
2. walking through any historic building and getting the rush of adrenaline when you realize your walking in the footsteps of so many other people.
3. sitting in the stands of any baseball field, little league up to the pros, and having someone hit a homerun, the buzz and electricity that instantly fills the crowd is like the first time everytime.
To claim your prize or coupon: Participants and winners should send me an email (see the “Contact Food Gal” link on the right-hand rail) with the subject line “Popchips Contest,” along with the screen name you used for the contest, as well as your full name and mailing address. The information will be forwarded to the folks at Popchips, who will send out the prizes and coupons.