After all, you’ve got to love a beast that gives you everything from bacon, ham and prosciutto to lard, chicharrones, ribs and juicy loin.
To get you in an even more porky good mood, I’m giving one lucky Food Gal reader the all the fixings for a spectacular piggy feast.
Contest: One person will win a “Be Inspired with Pork Kit,” which is being provided to the Food Gal by the folks at the National Pork Board. It includes an 11-inch square grill pan; a 16-jar revolving spice rack; a pig-shaped wood cutting board; a digital thermometer; a copy of the cookbook, “How to Cook Like a Top Chef” (Chronicle Books), autographed by Blais; and a gift card to a local retailer to purchase some tasty pork to cook up.
Entries for the contest, open only to those in the contiguous 48 U.S. states, will be accepted through midnight PST May 21. Winner will be announced May 23.
How to win?
Just tell me about a memorable time when you truly pigged out. Best answer wins.
Here’s my own answer to that question:
“In college, my best friend and I often would save our money to eat out at top restaurants in the Bay Area. Admittedly, we had voracious appetites, too. I remember once going out to dinner with her, eating several courses at a restaurant, then driving straight afterward to a favorite bakery, where we proceeded to share three huge pieces of cake. The next morning, I went jogging and ran for more miles than I’d ever had. Go figure.”
Winners of Last Week’s Contest: In the most recent Food Gal contest, I asked you to tell me which favorite beverage you wish you could have by your side at all times. Five lucky Food Gal readers will each win a Cameback Groove reusable water bottle with built-in filtration straw.
Congrats to the winners:
1) Otehlia Cassidy, who wrote, “My son’s lemonade. Even though he often leaves the mess behind, the fact that he so proudly mixes and shares his made-from-scratch creation, makes it my favorite thing to drink.”
2) Cookie, who wrote, “I’d hate to copy you but mine would be a glass of bubbly as well, but not just any bubbly, but Mumm’s DVX. Why? Cuz my hubby and I discovered it on our very first Napa trip and ever since then, every time I’ve had it, it’s been a very special memory. The next time we had it, it was our first trip to Napa with his parents and the third was the day he proposed. Sigh.”
3) Skinny Girl, who wrote, “Must be karma that you ask the day after I was at Blue Bottle Coffee in the SF Ferry Building. Its coffees have such depth that I’d want a cappuccino within arm’s reach, at all times. Of course, I may never sleep again -– but ahhhhh.”
4) Frances, who wrote, “Swizzle. What’s Swizzle? It’s an inexact combination of iced black tea and orange juice. As far as I know Swizzle’s a family name for this combo. I associate it especially with my Dad and my family when we were still all together under one roof.”
5) Joanne, who wrote, “That water bottle looks like it would make for an ideal running partner! If I could, I would carry Cherry Lime Rickey’s with me everywhere. I used to get them at this one breakfast place in Brooklyn with my ex-bf and they absolutely made my life.”
Porky Recipes: Prawns with Pork and Black Bean Sauce