Chef Alan Wong Brings A Taste of Hawaii to the Bay Area & More
Meet Famed Hawaii Chef Alan Wong and Historian Arnold Hiura
Chef Alan Wong and historian Arnold Hiura are bringing the “Taste Hawaii Tour” to the Bay Area, Oct. 27-Nov. 2, which includes a slew of public events that celebrate the culture and food of the islands.
The James Beard Award-winning chef of Alan Wong’s Honolulu and the Pineapple Room, Wong just published his newest cookbook, “The Blue Tomato: The Inspirations Behind the Cuisine of Alan Wong” (Watermark), which is filled with more than 200 recipes. Hiura, who co-wrote Wong’s latest cookbook, also is the author of “Kau Kau: Cuisine & Culture in the Hawaiian Islands” (Watermark), which includes more than 70 recipes.
* Oct. 27 from 6 p.m. to 7 pm., the two will host a free talk and book-signing at Omnivore Books in San Francisco.
* Oct. 29, 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Wong will host a free cooking demo at the north arcade of the Ferry Building Marketplace in San Francisco. Following that, from 12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m., Wong and Hiura will sign copies of their books.
* Oct. 30, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., they will host a walk-around tasting at the Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California in San Francisco. The dishes will include ones from Wong’s cookbook, as well as those provided by Hukilau restaurant. Each ticket includes your choice of either Wong’s or Hirua’s book. Tickets are $75 each and benefit the cultural center.
* Oct. 31, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., the two will be joined by the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce of Northern California for a free Pau Hana mixer at La Mar in San Francisco. Enjoy pupu, drinks and a special Hawaii raffle prizes, including one for the best Halloween costume.
* Nov. 2, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., enjoy a talk and lunch with Wong and Hiura at Akiyama Wellness Center, 110 Jackson St. in San Jose. Each ticket entitles you to a copy of either one’s book. The menu will include two dishes from Wong, as well as more food from Hukilau. Tickets are $60 each.
* Nov. 2, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., help celebrate Chef Wong’s birthday at Hukilau restaurant in San Jose with a buffet of eats and demos by Wong. Each ticket includes you choice of Wong’s or Hiura’s book. Guests also will have the chance to win a trip for two to Hawaii to dine at one of Wong’s restaurants. Tickets are $75 each.
For more information on the events or purchasing tickets, click here.
Celebrated Indian Chef Sanjeev Kapoor Comes to San Francisco
Chef Sanjeev Kapoor, star of cookbooks, cooking shows and even his own food network in India, comes to San Francisco on Nov. 6 to team with Chef-Owner Ranjan Dey for two events at Dey’s New Delhi Restaurant in San Francisco.
Noon to 2 p.m. Nov. 6, the restaurant will host a special brunch with a meet-and-greet with Kapoor. Tickets are $50 per person.
Later that night, 6 pm.. to 9 p.m., the restaurant will host a Q&A with Kapoor, as well as a 10-course family-style dinner. Tickets are $150 per person.
All proceeds from both events will benefit the Compassionate Chefs Cafe, a San Francisco non-profit founded by Dey, which helps to provide resources to impoverished children locally and globally.